IMMEDIATE RELEASE July 10, 2018
NETANYA, ISRAEL– The Iroquois National team informed the Federation of International Lacrosse and the local organizers that the reigning World bronze medalists, the Iroquois Nationals, have been delayed in their attempt to travel to Israel due to passport procedural issues while departing Canada for the 2018 FIL Men’s World Lacrosse Championship.
The 2018 FIL Men’s Lacrosse Championship is scheduled for Wingate National Sport Institution and Netanya Stadium, July 12-21 in Netanya, Israel. The Iroquois Nationals are scheduled to play the first day of competition at 8:30 p.m., July 12, at Netanya Stadium.
“The Federation of International Lacrosse is working to assist the Iroquois Nationals and the Israel Organizing Committee to resolve this issue,” said FIL President Sue Redfern. “FIL would very much like to assure the presence of the Iroquois Nationals at the 2018 FIL Men’s World Championship.”
On behalf of the Israel Organizing Committee, David Lasday, Chief Operating Officer of Israel Lacrosse, said, “the Organizing Committee is working diligently to assist the Iroquois Nationals to be able to board their flight to Israel for the Championship. Their participation is very important to the success of the event.”
The unique nature of the Iroquois Nationals has led to challenges procedurally using Haudenosaunee passports for travel and entry into Israel. The Iroquois Nationals are comprised of players from the Haudenosaunee, which is a federation of six Indigenous Nations, including the Mohawk, Oneida, Onondaga, Cayuga, Seneca and Tuscarora Nations. The Host Committee for the event and FIL are working together with the Iroquois Nationals to solve the current challenges and expect that these issues will be resolved in time to allow the team to be present for their opening game in Netanya Stadium against the USA on July 12.
“As information becomes available, we will release it accordingly,” added Redfern. “We’re very hopeful in working out details and accepting the arrival of the Iroquois Nationals here in Israel.”
The FIL Men’s World Championship will feature 46 national teams, the largest ever, in a 10-day event with all teams playing to a final placement. The event will be broadcast to more than 40 countries and featured on ESPN in U.S.A. and TSN in Canada.
The event’s Opening Ceremonies are slated for July 12 at 6:30 p.m. (local time) and will feature performances from Israeli artists and a procession of teams in Netanya Stadium. Tickets for the opening ceremonies and games can be purchased at www.worldlacrosse2018.com/tickets.
The majority of the World Championship will be held at Wingate National Sport Institution’s six competition fields. With the limited capacity, the venue will provide an electric atmosphere for the World Championship, with sell-out crowds anticipated.
The FIL Men’s World Championship started in 1967 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, where the United States defeated Australia for its first of nine World Championship gold medals. In 1974, the second World Championship was held in Melbourne, Australia, with the United States claiming the title. Since then, the event has been held every four years.
To follow the 2018 FIL Men’s World Championship, get the most recent content from FIL’s FanHub that provides one location for fans to see and read all the content written about the 2018 FIL Men’s World Championship at www.fanhub.worldlacrosse.sport. Content will be featured from media outlets, social media channels, the World Championship host site as well as original content from FIL’s media services team.
## www.worldlacrosse.sport ##
Media Contact: Steve Brunner
July 10, 2018 – 1400hrs (IST) Phone: +1.719.322.7022